How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Falconbridge, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Licensed Pub: We are the only home with a licensed pub where residents and their family members can listen to live music provided by local bands and musicians from the community while they enjoy a maximum of 2 drinks in 2 hours.
- Music and Memory : Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Pet Therapy : Through our Pet Therapy program therapy dogs are brought into the home for one-on-one visits with residents who can't or won't come out to participate in regular activities.
- Montessori Program : Our Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the resident's past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Bingo: Bingo is extremely popular in our community so it is on the calendar 4 times a week. Residents win "fake money" they can use to purchase items supplied by the home in the monthly auction.
- Available Technology: iPads are available when residents can't or won't participate in regular activities. This allows them to play games, explore Google and to Skype with family members who do not live close by.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Restorative Care Nurse
- Social worker